The CCNA certification equips you with networking skills to design, plan, install, configure and operate small to medium size computer networks. CCNA certified professionals can install, configure, and operate LAN, WAN, and dial access services for small networks (100 nodes or fewer), including but not limited to use of these protocols: IP, IGRP, Serial, Frame Relay, IP RIP, VLANs, RIP, Ethernet, Access Lists.
The CCNA certification has grown significantly in popularity over the last few years. It is a worthwhile addition to the resume of any networking professional.
CCNA exam tracks
640-821 INTRO 640-811 ICND
Topics on the test
Planning & Designing
- Design a simple LAN using Cisco Technology
- Design an IP addressing scheme to meet design requirements
- Select an appropriate routing protocol based on user requirements
- Design a simple internetwork using Cisco technology
- Develop an access list to meet user specifications
- Choose WAN services to meet customer requirements
- Configure routing protocols given user requirements
- Configure IP addresses, subnet masks, and gateway addresses on routers and hosts
- Configure a router for additional administrative functionality
- Configure a switch with VLANS and inter-switch communication
- Customize a switch configuration to meet specified network requirements
- Manage system image and device configuration files
- Perform an initial configuration on a router
- Perform an initial configuration on a switch
- Implement access lists
- Implement simple WAN protocols
- Utilize the OSI model as a guide for systematic network troubleshooting
- Perform LAN and VLAN troubleshooting
- Troubleshoot routing protocols
- Troubleshoot IP addressing and host configuration
- Troubleshoot a device as part of a working network
- Troubleshoot an access list
- Perform simple WAN troubleshooting
- Describe network communications using layered models
- Describe the Spanning Tree process
- Compare and contrast key characteristics of LAN environments
- Evaluate the characteristics of routing protocols
- Evaluate TCP/IP communication process and its associated protocols
- Describe the components of network devices
- Evaluate rules for packet control
- Evaluate key characteristics of WANs
Review Of CCNA 640-801 exam specificsPre Requisites
Certification validation period
Number of Questions
- Multiple Choice with Single answer: Student is required to select a single answer from a range of options (generally 4-5) by clicking on a radio button.
- Multiple Choice with Multiple answer: Student is required to select a range of options. The number of options to select is specified. The selection is made by clicking on a checkbox. A "v" appears against selected checkboxes.
- Drag And Drop: These questions are graphical in nature. Student is required to drag options to different drop areas.
- Fill in the Blank: Student is required to type in the missing text to complete the sentence.
- Router Simulation: Router simulation questions test knowledge of Cisco IOS in simulated environment. All of Cisco IOS commands are not supported by the simulator, however the task can be performed with the available commands in the simulator. Do note that the exam engine may be slow when switching between the simulator-based questions and the standard multiple-choice questions.