You can get to several sources on the Web for help managing e-mail. Forget about the companies that make the e-mail products -- their sites tout their products but do little, if anything, to show you how you can manage your e-mail storage and retrieval problems. But here are some links that will help:
- First of all, if you're working with Exchange server, check out our sister site searchWin2000. That site's Exchange tips offer a continuing source of advice from experts and peers alike.
- If you're a Notes Mail shop, then similarly you should take a gander at our searchDomino site. There you will find tips for Notes administrators and developers.
- SearchSystemsManagement provides links to information on server configuration, e-mail security, blocking viruses and more.
- If you think your e-mail is running slowly, you can visit the Email Management Benchmarking Association. The goals of the association (as stated on its Web site) are to conduct benchmarking studies of important e-mail management processes; to create a cooperative environment where full understanding of the performance and enablers of "best in class" e-mail management processes can be obtained and shared at reasonable cost; to use the efficiency of the association to obtain process performance data and related best practices from e-mail management; and to support the use of benchmarking to facilitate e-mail management process improvement and the achievement of accuracy, timeliness and efficiency. You pay only for studies in which you participate.
- Finally, if you're not getting enough e-mail now, you can sign up for more. Email911 sends out e-mail tips daily and in a monthly newsletter that you can peruse to see what others in the e-mail management business have done to solve problems similar to yours.