While new Web SSL VPN technology is great, is there any real value in it for the business? The answer is clearly...
"Yes." Here are a few Web SSL VPN advantages that will help give you a clear business case to use them over traditional IPsec VPNs.
Web SSL VPN advantages:
- Web SSL VPNs are simpler to set up and troubleshoot. One advantage is that SSL VPNs have a lot less administrative overhead and technical support required than traditional VPN clients thanks to their ease of use.
- Another Web SSL VPN advantage is price: SSL VPNs cost less than traditional IPsec VPNs. They do not require proprietary VPN client software to be purchased or licensed (in most cases).
- SSL makes use of Port 443. This almost guarantees it will work through any firewall that provides standard Internet access, without the need of any special configuration. No more users having trouble connecting to the corporate network because of a restrictive Internet connection.
- Web SSL VPNs are compatible with all operating systems and Web browsers.
- Web SSL VPNs have full IP application support -- replacing IPsec VPN client programs completely.
- Other Web SSL VPN advantages include the ability to create security policies and allow access only when these policies are met -- such as Client Firewall present and enabled, client antivirus updated with the latest definitions and more.
- Web SSL VPNs are available on servers, firewalls and even routers! You don't necessarily need a dedicated machine only for your VPN users as it is supported even on small devices such as Cisco 870 series routers.
Now you understand the advantages of Web SSL VPNs and what the Web SSL VPN hype is all about. Web SSL VPNs are the future of remote VPN access. As time passes, more vendors will start offering these solutions in their products.
Don't be afraid to adopt SSL VPN solutions -- they will help you solve a great number of network security problems and will help you get your job done better, faster and safer
Further reading on Web SSL VPN advantages:
- View this SSL VPN tutorial on SearchNetworking.com to learn more.
- This expert answer explains the advantages of hardware vs. software VPNs.
- Know what to ask SSL VPN vendors before you decide on an SSL VPN.
- Learn how cloud VPN services lessen SSL VPN gateway expenses.
- Understand why secure mobility requires more than SSL VPN remote access.
- See SearchSecurity.com's SSL and TLS VPN security topic section for advice on configuration, servers, authentication, and using SSL certificates.
- Visit SearchEnterpriseWAN.com's remote access section for news, advice and references on IPsec and SSL VPNs, as well as Web-based options for all types of devices.
- To read more on remote VPN access solutions and learn how to configure them, visit Firewall.cx’s remote VPN/firewall section.
View other sections of this VPN tip series using the table of contents below:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
About the author:
Chris Partsenidis is the founder and senior editor of Firewall.cx -- one of the few websites recommended by Cisco Systems in its world class Cisco Academy program. Firewall.cx is also the only official Cisco Press reviewer in the world. Today, www.Firewall.cx with over 1,500,000 page views per month, is amongst the most popular and respected network portals in the world, covering Cisco networking, security VPN, routing, switching and VoIP Call Manager Express technologies. Firewall.cx analyzes over 450 topics, with over 35,000 answered forum questions and offers free Cisco training via their world-first free Cisco lab.