Service providers are increasingly using MPLS to build one converged network over which they deliver services to customers, rather than supporting parallel networks for different functions. They are using quality of service (QoS) measures to make that happen and to ensure that the transport of data, voice, video and mission-critical and non-mission-critical applications can all be supported in the same network environment. This chapter excerpt from the Cisco Press book Selecting MPLS VPN Services discusses:
- Introduction to QoS
- QoS tool chest: Understanding the mechanisms
- Building the policy framework
- MPLS and IP/VPN QoS strategy
- Identification of traffic
- QoS requirements for voice, video, and data
- The LAN edge: L2 configurations
- Case Study: QoS in the Acme, Inc. network
- QoS reporting
This chapter's objectives are to provide a foundation of understanding of QoS and define the options and technical implementations for the various types of QoS required for typical VPN deployments.
Read the rest of Implementing quality of service (QoS) over MPLS VPNs in this PDF.
Find more resources and information about MPLS VPN technology
- Learn about the different classes of MPLS services and which is the best to select for your WAN
- Read about how MPLS VPNs can be a solution to too many VPN tunnels