POX is an open source development platform for Python-based software-defined networking (SDN) control applications, such as OpenFlow SDN controllers. POX, which enables rapid development and prototyping, is becoming more commonly used than NOX, a sister project.Content Continues Below
The NOXrepo website lists the following POX features:
- “Pythonic” OpenFlow interface.
- Reusable sample components for path selection, topology discovery, etc.
- “Runs anywhere” – Can bundle with install-free PyPy runtime for easy deployment.
- Specifically targets Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.
- Topology discovery.
- Supports the same GUI and visualization tools as NOX.
- Performs well compared to NOX applications written in Python.
The project website says that the ultimate goal for POX is to use it to create “an archetypal, modern SDN controller.”