Problem solve Get help with specific problems with your technologies, process and projects.

What is the best way to extend a wireless G network to our building?

I am setting up a wireless LAN on a ranch. One house has a cable modem and a wireless G network. Another house on the same property needs network access as well. The distance between the houses is 100 yards. What is the best way to get wireless access to the other house?
You might be able to do this using an indoor bridge to extend your wireless G network coverage to encompass the second home. For example, the Linksys WET54GS5 could be installed in the second home, connecting to a Linksys Wireless-G AP in the first home. Such products are relatively inexpensive but are really designed to work indoors. You should purchase the bridge from the same vendor as your AP.

They are much more expensive, but there are wireless bridges designed for outdoor use, like the Proxim Tsunami QuickBridge. This kit includes a pair of bridges, outdoor antennas, surge arrestors and Ethernet cables. Both antennas would be mounted outdoors. You'd connect one bridge to an available switch port on your wireless G network. You'd connect the other bridge to a PC (or hub) at the second home.

You can find a list of wireless bridge products at Wi-Fi Planet.

This was last published in March 2005

Dig Deeper on Wireless LAN (WLAN)

Have a question for an expert?

Please add a title for your question

Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.

You will be able to add details on the next page.

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

Please create a username to comment.