Problem solve Get help with specific problems with your technologies, process and projects.

Straight-through or crossover cables for computer connections to LAN?

I am thinking of buying a cable/DSL gateway router. But I'm not entirely sure how to connect it. I know that the Cat5 cable from the modem goes in the WAN port on the Router and the other computers connect to the LAN ports but what cables do I use to connect the computers? I know I need Cat5 but do I use "straight-through" or "cross over"?
You need straight cables.
This was last published in April 2003

Dig Deeper on Network Hardware

Have a question for an expert?

Please add a title for your question

Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.

You will be able to add details on the next page.

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

Please create a username to comment.