What are the advantages and disadvantages of teleconferencing?
One of the major advantages of teleconferencing is its potential to reduce the cost of group meetings. Savings come primarily from reduced travel costs.
Some more advantages to teleconferencing are:
- Attend a business meeting hundreds of miles away without leaving your office
- Reduce travel expenses
- Reduce travel time requirements
- Schedule meetings minutes ahead of time instead of days or weeks
- Keep in touch with other branches of your business
While teleconferencing is characterized by many advantages, it does have disadvantages:
- Technical failures with equipment, including connections that aren't made
- Unsatisfactory for complex interpersonal communication, such as negotiation or bargaining
- Impersonal, less easy to create an atmosphere of group rapport
- Lack of participant familiarity with the equipment, the medium itself, and meeting skills
- Acoustical problems within the teleconferencing rooms
- Difficulty in determining participant speaking order; frequently one person monopolizes the meeting
- Greater participant preparation and preparation time needed
- Informal, one-to-one, social interaction not possible
To minimize some of the potential problems, users should carefully evaluate their meeting needs and goals to determine if teleconferencing is appropriate. Users should also assess their audience. For example, consider the size of the group, the level of experience with teleconferencing, and the extent of familiarity with each other. These precautions won't eliminate all the problems that could arise, but they should reduce the likelihood of their occurring.
Dig Deeper on Network application performance
Related Q&A from Amy Kucharik
Learn what network latency is in this expert response. Continue Reading
Learn what the true definition of a download is and whether going from one Web site to another falls under this category in this Q&A with Amy ... Continue Reading
Learn about Multiprotocol Label Switching in this Q&A with Amy Kucharik. Continue Reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.