By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Today, WAN technologies most often take advantage of high-speed connections, such as T-1 and E-1. Additional WAN technologies exist, including Frame Relay, ISDN, and dial-up asynchronous connections. ISDN or dial-up is used if infrequent connection is made. If a connection is used for more than two to four hours, you should use a Frame Relay or a leased line.Based on the different services available through the service provider, you can select Cisco products that can fulfill your office requirements.
Product selection criteria
- Will the device be used as a core device, distribution device, or access device?
- Does the device provide the functions that your business requires?
- Does the device have adequate number of ports and the right mix of interfaces as required by your business?
- Do you have to pay a lot for installing the device or can it be easily installed?
- Can the device be centrally managed from an SNMP Management station or do you have to physically access the device to manage it?
- Is the migration path easy?
- How well does the device handle redundancy requirements?
- Do you have to change your existing infrastructure, such as cabling or existing devices, to install the new device? You may use the Cisco Web site http://www.cisco.com to gather more information to select products based on your requirements.
Dig Deeper on Network Hardware