By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
Today, WAN technologies most often take advantage of high-speed connections, such as T-1 and E-1. Additional WAN technologies exist, including Frame Relay, ISDN, and dial-up asynchronous connections. ISDN or dial-up is used if infrequent connection is made. If a connection is used for more than two to four hours, you should use a Frame Relay or a leased line.Based on the different services available through the service provider, you can select Cisco products that can fulfill your office requirements.
Product selection criteria
- Will the device be used as a core device, distribution device, or access device?
- Does the device provide the functions that your business requires?
- Does the device have adequate number of ports and the right mix of interfaces as required by your business?
- Do you have to pay a lot for installing the device or can it be easily installed?
- Can the device be centrally managed from an SNMP Management station or do you have to physically access the device to manage it?
- Is the migration path easy?
- How well does the device handle redundancy requirements?
- Do you have to change your existing infrastructure, such as cabling or existing devices, to install the new device? You may use the Cisco Web site http://www.cisco.com to gather more information to select products based on your requirements.