By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
MultiProtocol Label Switching (MPLS) originates in proprietary work from Cisco, but it is widely used for routing traffic across high-speed, high-traffic networks, particularly within enterprises, and at service providers of all kinds. A deep understanding of backbone routing, especially for the Internet, is incomplete nowadays without a working knowledge of MPLS. That explains the impetus behind this collection of a half-dozen tips on the subject by networking guru and CCIE Robbie Harrell.
CISCO CCIP MPLS CERTIFICATION SERIES
Cisco CCIP MPLS certification: Introduction (Robbie Harrell)
Lesson 1 -- Understanding MPLS
Lesson 2 -- Routing and control architecture
Lesson 3 -- Distribution of labels
Lesson 4 -- Label imposition
Lesson 5 -- Configuring MPLS
Lesson 6 -- Configuring MPLS and VRF
In addition to the information Mr. Harrell covers so ably in this collection of tips, IT professionals interested in developing or improving MPLS skills and knowledge will also benefit from digging into one or more of the following references and resources, particularly if they wish to prepare for Cisco certification exam 642-611 -- "Implementing Cisco MPLS." We present these items as a kind of laundry list of potentially useful ammunition for those who'd like to get up to speed on both MPLS theory and practice.
- The MPLS reading list at NetPerformance.com includes a mix of academic and online reading lists and resource repositories, along with a carefully annotated current bibliography of titles on the subject of MPLS (15 books in all). This is a carefully researched and current collection of resources.
- MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software, by Umesh Lakshman and Lancy Lobo, Cisco Press, 2005, ISBN: 1587051990. This book is the ultimate reference for MPLS setup and configuration, and an invaluable resource in preparing for the command side of the 642-611 exam.
- Practice test providers TestKing, Actual Tests, Transcender, and others offer 642-611 practice tests. See Certification Pro's listing of offerings for a comprehensive round-up.
- Cisco Press doesn't offer a study guide for 642-611, but you can find knock-offs available from third parties such as ITCertKeys.com, as well as other training and practice test providers.
- You'll find even more MPLS resources in our learning guide, "MPLS technology overview."
For networking professionals who want to work on networking infrastructure, particularly at the enterprise or service provider level (away from the edge and closer to the core), knowledge of MPLS is becoming increasingly important. Even if you decide not to take the Cisco 642-611 Implementing Cisco MPLS exam, you'll find these materials useful and informative in your search for further knowledge and understanding.
About the author:
Ed Tittel is the author of more than 100 computer books and many Web and magazine articles, including several college textbooks on networking. These days, he remains a regular TechTarget contributor and also writes for Certification Magazine, Tom's Hardware, and Digital Landing.