- After reading the question, write down the correct answer on scrap paper. When you're done, e-mail your responses (1-10) to firstname.lastname@example.org for your chance to win Network Troubleshooting by Agilent Technologies. Good luck, and we trust you'll be honest in your response ;-)
1. This is a protocol for specifying and controlling network traffic by class so that certain types of traffic get precedence - for example, voice traffic, which requires a relatively uninterrupted flow of data, might get precedence over other kinds of traffic. (This one is kinda tough, you might want to review our Words-to-Go before you answer.)
2. This is now considered to be the standard for interoperability in audio, video and data transmissions as well as Internet phone and voice-over-IP (VoIP).
3. POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) is also referred to as...
For questions 4-6 choose a, b or c:
b. IP telephony
c. Voice and data convergence
4. ___ This specifically refers to sending voice traffic over an IP (Internet Protocol) network.
5. ___ This refers to sending both voice and data (such as LAN traffic) over a data network.
6. ___ This refers to any "telephone" type service carried over IP.
7. This protocol initiates an interactive user session that involves multimedia elements such as video, voice, chat, gaming, and virtual reality.
8. This person is SearchNetworking.com's site expert on VoIP.
a. Bill Gates
b. Carrie Higbie
c. Ed Tittel
d. Susan Fogarty
9. This is the standards body that defines Internet operating protocols.
10. SIP works in which layer of the OSI model?
a. Layer 4 - the transport layer
b. Layer 2 - the data-link layer
c. Layer 7 - the application layer
This was first published in October 2003