1. Identity management will emerge as a biggest security concern for enterprise networks and other online services.
2. Even though the Web services security model is being implemented as one of the solutions to provide secure B2B eBusiness services, concerns will still persist in regard to training and expertise.
3. Security concerns and the complexity of Web technologies security mechanisms will cause most enterprise Web applications deployments to be simple and conservative.
4. Several key standards are likely to be incorporated next year. They include:
- Web Services Security (XML encryption and XML digital signatures)
- XML Key Management Specification for key management
- Extensible Access Control Markup Language for authorization
5. The wireless LAN will find its place
6. The new year will bring some new policies and standards for enterprise architecture and define new ways of securing information exchange between different agencies.
7. Firewalls and intrusion detection technologies will still remain a hotly debated subject. Concerns raised this year about stateful firewall implementations will find answers next year, as new solutions are developed to overcome the shortcomings of the technologies.
8. Corporations will reduce their security budgets and spending as they wait for new technologies and standards to stabilize and mature.