Looking for something else?
More than 4,000 candidates are taking the CompTIA Network+ exam each month. Here are 10 tips from the Exam Cram 2 Network+ Cram Sheet for Exam N10-003
Media and topologies
- A wireless infrastructure network uses a centralized device known as a wireless access point (WAP). Ad hoc wireless topologies are a peer-to-peer configuration and do not use a wireless access point.
- Many factors cause EMI, including computer monitors and fluorescent lighting fixtures. Copper-based media are prone to EMI, whereas fiber-optic cable is immune to it.
Cables and connectors
- Fiber-optic cabling is immune to interference and can be used over great distances. It comes in two varieties - single mode and multimode.
- RJ-45 connectors are used with UTP cable and are associated with networking applications. RJ-11 connectors are used with telephone cables.
- The presentation layer converts data from the application layer into a format that can be sent over the network. It converts data from the session layer into a format that can be understood by the application layer. It also handles encryption and decryption of data and provides compression and decompression functionalities.
- The data-link layer has two distinct sublayers: LLC and MAC. It performs error detection and handling for the transmitted signals. It also defines the method by which the medium is accessed and defines hardware addressing through the MAC sublayer.
- Application protocols map to the application, presentation, and session layers of the OSI model. Application protocols include AFT, FTP, SFTP, TFTP, NCP, NTP, NNTP, SSH, Telnet, SCP, LDAP, and SNMP.
- In a network that does not use DHCP, you need to watch for duplicate IP addresses that prevent a user from logging on to the network.
- ARP is the part of the TCP/IP suite whose function is to resolve IP addresses to MAC addresses.
- When looking for client connectivity problems using ipconfig, you should ensure that the gateway is correctly set.
Discover how these books can help you successfully pass the CompTIA Network+ exam:
The Exam Cram 2 Network+ Exam N10-003, Second Edition
Exam Cram 2 Network+ Practice Questions; Exam N10-003, Second Edition