Even a finely-tuned network has room for improvement. SearchNetworking.com expert Carrie Higbie shares her ten favorite new technologies that will help you eliminate bottlenecks and increase network throughput.
- Intelligent patching - Allows you to see where devices are on your networks and decreases troubleshooting and fault detection
- Better cabling - Less susceptible to problems and a better value too
- 10G is reality - Utilize SMF or 50 micron laser optimized fiber
- Security appliances - Stop problems before they propagate
- Layer 7 products - Can assist with bandwidth-hungry applications
- Wireless, especially WiMax - Provides increased performance for some last-mile and/or campus applications
- Blades - All things blade... racks, enclosures, iInteroperability booths, servers and storage, cooling and power
- Advancements in switching and routing - Provides increased wire-speed processing
- VoIP/IPT - It's not new, but is being readily adopted
- Grid computing - Offers ability to group/cluster many systems together to increase processing power
Check out Carrie's full-length presentation on these exciting new technologies here.
Carrie Higbie has been involved in the computing and networking industries for nearly 20 years and has taught classes for Novell, Microsoft, and Cisco certifications as well as CAD/CAE, networking and programming on a collegiate level. Carrie currently works as the Network Applications Market Manager with The Siemon Company, where she provides liaison services to assure harmony between active electronics and networking infrastructures. She participates with the IEEE, TIA and other consortiums and works to further educate the end-user community on the importance of a quality infrastructure.
Dig Deeper on LANs (Local Area Networks)