Block list companies
Antispam server software
IronPort not only creates systems to permit companies to send bulk e-mail, they also sell servers that enable companies to filter spam.
In addition, two solutions—Spam Sleuth and SpamSquelcher—take a slightly different approach to the way that they protect companies from spam.
Enterprise from Blue Squirrel provides a solution that blocks spam from reaching a company's e-mail server. This product enables administrators to configure the many filtering options while enabling users to personalize their settings through a client application. The following list identifies some of the product's many features:
- Works with any e-mail server
- Challenge-response to force senders to validate their e-mail at a Web site
- Permits domain-level rejection or acceptance lists
- Replies to spam transmissions as undeliverable
- Validates senders by using the following criteria:
- Checks for missing reply address
- Validates that from address is equivalent to reply address
- Compares the IP and DNS data against rejection lists
- Checks subject and body text against blocked words
The product SpamSquelcher is marketed by ePrivacy Group. This product is unique in that it does not block any e-mails from reaching your company. What it does is increase the processing time for delivering spam for companies sending spam. In this manner, legitimate e-mail is not accidentally lost because of an overly sensitive filter. Decreasing the delivery bandwidth for spam has the effect of increasing the bandwidth for legitimate e-mail while increasing the costs of spammers who send e-mail to companies that deploy this technology.
Next section: Developing e-mail-friendly solutions
Dig Deeper on Networking Resources