President, Core Competence Inc.
Lisa Phifer owns and is president of Core Competence Inc., a consulting firm specializing in leading-edge network technology. She has been involved in the design, implementation and evaluation of networking and security products for over 25 years. She has advised companies large and small regarding needs, product assessment and the use of emerging technologies and best practices. Before joining Core Competence, Phifer was a member of the technical staff at Bell Communications Research, where she won a president's award for her work on ATM network management. Phifer teaches about wireless LANs, mobile security, NAC, and VPNs at many industry conferences and webinars. She has written extensively about network infrastructure and security technologies for numerous publications, including SearchSecurity.com, Information Security, Wi-Fi Planet, ISP-Planet, Business Communications Review, and Network World. Phifer's monthly wireless tips are published by SearchNetworking.com and SearchMobileComputing.com.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from Lisa Phifer, Wireless Networking Expert
- With new Wi-Fi standard OK'd, time to plan next move
- New WLAN capabilities bring opportunities, challenges
- New standards increase enterprise WLAN capacity
- Provisioning WLAN access for BYOD takes combined tools
- UPenn tackles WLAN access for 46,000 BYOD clients
- Is WEP cracking still a WLAN security issue?
- WLAN design for optimized wireless video delivery
- Controlling embedded Wi-Fi device access to the WLAN
- Enhance Wi-Fi ad hoc mode? Most go with Wi-Fi Direct
- Mi-Fi and Android smartphone mobile hotspot comparison
- How to secure a WLAN for small business
- Be aware of Wi-Fi security to deal with Firesheep in pu
- Wireless access for mall kiosk
- Designing WiFi access for a hotel
- Access point problems running on PoE
- Hunting down the source of a wireless attack
- Extending 802.11n wireless LAN and connecting two WLANs
- Do I need 802.11n wireless adapters for laptops and PCs to install 802.11n?
- iPad WLAN performance problems emerge
- How does rain affect wireless network data transfer?