What security issues will impede an organization from implementing a wireless LANs environment? Common WLAN security...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
- Unauthorized Network Access - organizations need to enable access by authenticated users to authorized resources while keeping outsiders away.
- Eavesdropping on Data In Transit - organizations need to ensure the confidentiality of sensitive or confidential data went over the air.
- Message Forgery - organizations need to know that data has not been changed or sent by an intruder masquerading as a legitimate user.
- Network Downtime - organizations need to take steps to ensure full-time availability their wireless LAN and attached systems and servers.
For example, many companies are now finding "rogue" wireless LANs inside their facility. APs installed by overly-enthusiastic employees still pose risk because they are usually unsecured, allowing access to the company network by anyone within a few hundred feet. More malicious APs can trick wireless stations into connecting to them instead of the company AP, intercepting and perhaps changing data mid-stream. Malicious users can also try to cripple your company's wireless LAN by flooding APs with bogus messages that eat up resources and deny access by legitimate users. Fortunately, security measures are now available to address most of these risks. To learn more, I recommend listening to these SearchSecurity.com webcasts:
- Locking down your WLAN: Part 1 - Identifying the threats
- Locking down your WLAN: Part 2 - Implementing Countermeasures
Dig Deeper on Wireless LAN Implementation
Related Q&A from Lisa Phifer
Understanding the functions of a wireless access point vs. wireless router will help you deploy the right device for the right circumstance.continue reading
Learn the difference between a site-to-site VPN and a remote-access VPN, as well as the protocols used for each one.continue reading
Need to send an email, check your flight's status or get ready for a presentation? You can do it all on your smartwatch, thanks to a slew of Apple ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.