Ask the Expert

What are two common devices that control outbound network access?

What are two common devices that control outbound network access?

    Requires Free Membership to View

Well, generally devices such as routers and firewalls are used to control outbound network access. Routers have the ability to act as stateless inspection devices. A router can be configured to use an access control list (ACL). An ACL can be used to block or allow certain types of traffic. Firewalls are like ACL's but have the ability to act as stateful inspection. This is a much more advanced type of firewall. Where ACL's can only be used to look at the headers of packets, stateful inspection monitors the state of active connections and can look inside the packet to determine what to allow through the firewall.

This was first published in December 2009

There are Comments. Add yours.

TIP: Want to include a code block in your comment? Use <pre> or <code> tags around the desired text. Ex: <code>insert code</code>

REGISTER or login:

Forgot Password?
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
Sort by: OldestNewest

Forgot Password?

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an email containing your password.

Your password has been sent to: