A standard test at each site should be:
- Attach laptop. Do you get an IP address in a reasonable length of time?
- Connect to your login server. Can you actually log in? Do NSlookup.
- Do the names of your servers resolve? Tracert the path. Any surprises?
- Does your application work? Is the data entry person going to yell when the system can't keep up with their typing?
- Who owns the network?
- Does this side own ALL segments?
- If like most deals, it goes through various companies. Who do you call? You want one person on the hot seat for repair, AND you want to know who to call if the failure is at some third party on a Friday night.
Dig Deeper on Network Management Software, Tools and Utilities
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.