Ask the Expert

How and where does one get training/education to become a network engineer?

How and where does one get training/education to become a network engineer?

    Requires Free Membership to View

Gosh! that's a mighty small question that could generate a HUGE answer. You can pursue this track in a large number of ways, including undergraduate or graduate degree programs in computer science or engineering, through various certifications from an astonishing range of vendor-specific or vendor-neutral programs -- use the CertFinder at GoCertify ( and you'll see 142 different credentials come up under the "Networking" category. Thus, the short answer to your question is "nearly everywhere." That said, if you can furnish some kind of idea about some more specific type of networking (wired? wireless? IP or other protocols? LAN or WAN? and so forth) I might be able to return with some more specific advice.

You may also want to check out some of my survey articles at, including Wireless Certification Survey
Network and System Administration Certifications Survey

These will help acquaint you with what's out there, certification-wise, and may help you zero in on some more specific choices or areas of interest.

This was first published in May 2004

There are Comments. Add yours.

TIP: Want to include a code block in your comment? Use <pre> or <code> tags around the desired text. Ex: <code>insert code</code>

REGISTER or login:

Forgot Password?
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
Sort by: OldestNewest

Forgot Password?

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an email containing your password.

Your password has been sent to: