I am trying to build an application, which will work on MS Access and SQL Server. I have some queries written by someone using the Visual Basic "FORMAT" function. I didn't find anything that will be compatible with "Format" in SQL Server. "Cast/Convert" can't solve this issue.
Select Format(Amt, "###,##.##") as Amount from Table A Select "Balance: " & Format(Amt, "###,##.##") as Amount from Table AAny advice other than to change the current statements?
You are trying to do 2 diametrically opposite things. The format commands are for data display. SQL Server is a storage engine and does absolutely nothing with formatting nor does it have any capability to format for an application. Formatting is done in SQL Server at the application side and does not involve the database engine. There are no equivalents or translations for that kind of thing.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, SQL Server, DB2, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig deeper on Storage Networks
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.